I’ve aged out of some of the flaws of my early years voting in music polls and just making lists of albums and artists in general–
- Including something that I have unclear feelings about because it should be on the list, dammit, everybody else is going to have it.
- Including something that won’t come into focus for me but that was intelligently admired and explained by a writer I trust a lot.
- Not quite understanding that I include diverse styles not as an end in itself but because I have diverse taste.
- Either neglecting the early months of the year or throwing in a recent release that I’m only temporarily thrilled about (I still worry about this last kludge happening).
There is one hang-up that I still have to watch out for —
- Making sure that I’m including works or performers who provoke my passions, not merely ones I admire a great deal.